Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Why am I so nasty sometimes?

I have had an officially bad day in the parenting stakes. This seems to be happening to me rather a lot at the moment, and I am not at all proud of what is coming out of my mouth. I sound like a candidate for Tiny Tearaways where they video you and then say 'Is it any wonder your child had a hissy fit today?'

I exaggerate of course. As my wonderful husband often points out, there were lots of good points during the day where I wasn't a bitch to my children. I just wish I could rein in the anger that sometimes whooshes up from somewhere when I'm trying to get Oliver to sit in his car seat so I can strap him in; when Faye is virtually pulling down my trousers or pinching O's bum when I'm trying to change him (that one was quite funny actually!); when Oliver has a meltdown because we have to leave Emily behind at a playgroup (she's a green train, not a person...). We kissed and made up today but I hate that residual feeling of guilt mixed with exhaustion.

Ah, exhaustion. I suspect that's a large part of the problem. Plus trying to flog a flat that might have subsidence (or might not, don't ask) and putting in an offer on a place which is gorgeous but bound to cost us a fortune over the years if we get it!! As they say, it's all happening here in sunny (I wish) Bristol. I suppose that could be another factor for my malaise - the bloody weather.

Anyway, enough for now. Whinge, whinge, whinge. Self-pity is a loathesome thing...

5 Comments:

Blogger Minks said...

I could've written this myself (except for the housesale obviously.)
I feel like a weak idiot sometimes- I keep asking myself, "why is is to hard? its only two kids." The reality is that we are at their constant beck and call, whilst trying to cook, clean, shop (and in your case) work, find new homes, new jobs, new nurseries...
It is hardwork looking after children. We should give ourselves a break sometimes. Ask for help when we need it, and take time out whenever we can.

1/18/2007  
Blogger Minks said...

I should also learn to type

1/18/2007  
Blogger clarey b said...

Thank you minks... great to know it's not just me!!

1/19/2007  
Blogger Paul & Esther said...

Oh Clare, you sweeeeetie.

Of course it's not "you". It's not easy this kids business.

When Ilai was born, someone told me that there are times when you simply feel like dropping the little darlings out of the window (we live on the 3rd floor). This someone added that it was absolutely fine to think this on occasion ... just not to actually do it.

A suggestion: pour yourself two large glasses of chardonnay, sit back, and watch some of "Weeds" (great TV series). Promise you'll feel better.

Hang in there darling ...
xxx

1/21/2007  
Blogger clarey b said...

Thanks everyone! You're all right of course. Putting it all into practice is another matter!!

1/21/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home